08 September 2006

Ferry to Famagusta

From Tarsus I went by train to the port city of Mersin to catch the overnight ferry to Famagusta. This wasn't such a good idea. The ferry took 12 hours and didn't have any cabins so I was stuck with a chair (a big travel "no-no" for me, always get a cabin or don't go). Luckily I had my sleeping bag so I streached out on the floor and actually got some good sleep. I was the only person on board who wasn't either Turkish or Cypriot and most people who were traveling on the ferry had huge bales of goods they were bringing along. The whole thing was chaotic but interesting. Upon arrival in Famagusta I saw the first tourists I had seen in three days. Famagusta was actually the center for tourism in Cyprus before the division but now it gets only a handful of curious travelers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home