17 October 2006

Five Arabian Nights

Getting out of Afghanistan involved a quick trip to the Arabian Peninsula. It started with a flight on a new airline for me - Kam Air - from Kabul to Dubai.

Now I've always wanted to go to Dubai but once I got there I had no idea why. I didn't like the city at all. First thing I did was go to Carrefour.

Then I went to check out the city's skycrapers. I visited Emirates Towers One and Two which are the 23rd and 40th tallest buildings in the world. Neither one has an observation deck.

I also passed by the construction site of the Burj Dubai which when completed will be the undisputed tallest free standing structure in the world.

On my way to Mall of the Emirates and the Burj al Arab I was waiting at a bus stop and someone offered me a ride. But instead of taking me to Mall of the Emirates he took me to a much cooler mall named after the 14th century Arab traveller Ibn Battuta. This mall was huge and followed the theme of Ibn Battutas travels with sections dedicated to different regions he explored. It had sections for Persia, India, China, Tunisia, Spain, Egypt. It was amazing. After the mall he took me to his brothers house for a huge dinner. From Dubai I made a short trip to Oman and its capital city Muscat. I liked Muscat, it wasn't overly exciting but it was nice. Then it was back to Dubai and on to the Emirate of Sharjah for my flight out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home