19 November 2006

We love Bangladesh



After 4 days of waiting in Calcutta it was time to hit the road again. Destination, Bangladesh. This was the newspaper headline from a week ago. Bangladesh is in the middle of a big political crisis so I knew I would be in for an interesting time.



Across the border.



Cars and trucks are quite rare in south western Bangladesh. Here it's rickshaws and motorcycles for everyone.






The first people I hung out with were these young guys with motorcycles in Jessore. They are obviously quite rich for this area, you can tell by their clothes and the fact that they are young guys and they have motorcycles!






They took me to a nearby village that was having some sort of Hindu festival. This is their ferris wheel. I wonder what they do with it when no festivals are going on?



My main reason for coming to Bangladesh was to visit the 15th century mosques at Bagerhat.


Some little kids in Bagerhat village.



There were political marches each night on the streets of Bagerhat town.
Today the blockade has started again. To get from Bagerhat to Khulna I hitched a ride in a van that was delivering newspapers. They had a sign on the front of the van letting people know why they were on the road and they handed out newspapers as "bribes" to get past the checkpoints. It was pretty cool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pshaz said...

maybe it is always festival time in that village near jessore

20/11/06 3:59 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

I never considered that. ;) Actually no one could explain to me why they were having a festival and as far as I know there were no other Hindu festivals going on anywhere else at the time. Plus it did seem like a very happy little village.

20/11/06 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home