11 November 2007

Chefchaouen food

I did manage to find some good food in Chefchaouen, when I found that the street food only comes out at night.



Called "Caliente" by the vendors (unless taking to tourists, when they then refer to it as a "Moroccan pizza") like all good street food in the the Arab world this is made from Chick Peas. Its the tastiest thing I have found so far. A slice costs 12 cents US and it is totally delicious. I imagine based on the name that this is probably only found in the Spanish region of Morocco and that I probably won't see it again when I head south to the French part.



The most common street food in Morocco so far is snails, and the vendor usually also sells chick peas. I finally tried the snails in Chefchaouen. It's more of a social activity, standing around the cart and picking the snails out of their shells while you chat with your friends.



Chick peas by themselves are called Hummus. Anything made with chick peas is said as being made with Hummus. They are served on the street in a tasty broth. Here they are with the broth from the snails but I think they taste better in their own broth.



These doughnut like things are sold in the morning. Two for about 12 cents US. They are tied together with the green leaf strings (next to the doughnuts in the picture) so that you can carry them home without getting your hands greesy. Kids on their way to school will stop in the shop and eat them there, dipping them into sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home